Writing can be a process of discovery. Explore pivotal moments in your personal story with these writing prompts.
- Write a list of situations in which your oldest friend would know exactly what you need from them without you having to explain. What stories are behind this list? Write a scene from one of these stories.
- Tell us about a place you know better than most people. What do people often overlook about the place? How do you want them to see it?
- Describe a moment when you decided not to compromise. How do you feel about it now?
- Write about a transformation you witnessed in yourself, another person, a family, or a community.
- What do you value most about yourself? Tell us about a moment when you noticed your value.
Try to let go of goals and judgment as you write. Writing prompts help us explore the themes and scenes that are important to us. Over time, a regular writing practice will help you find the heart of what you want to share and develop a feeling for the narrative structure that makes the most sense for your story. For now, just write!
Which questions have helped you explore your story?
Share your favorite writing prompts with other writers in the comments!